Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Oxford Union


My dear friend at Pembroke, who is also studying abroad from Georgetown, has forwarded me an email from his mother, who apparently follows my posts and has lamented that I only have two posts so far. Sorry I’ve been rather negligent—but I swear, the Michaelmas term just went by in a flash!

I’d like to give you a brief introduction on the Oxford Union, which has been another regular feature in my life at Oxford. The Oxford Union, a debating society founded in 1823, is Britain’s second-oldest university union (The Cambridge Union Society is the oldest). While lifetime membership is only available to full-time undergraduate or graduate students, visiting students are invited to join the Union for the duration of their studies, at a heft but not unreasonable membership fee.

The Union hosts renowned speakers from various fields and hosts debates of high caliber every week. Topics for the weekly debates during the past term have included banning of burqa, rise of China, and cuts in Britain’s military budget. Members are invited to watch the debates and even participate by contesting debaters’ points or giving short speeches.

The Union building also has a beautifully furnished bar and library which members can freely use. The Union bar, with its wide selection of wine at cheaper prices, has actually been one of my favorite places for study breaks during the past term.

Numerous politicians and other prominent figures in Britain have honed their public speaking skills at the Union. According to Wikipedia, previous presidents of the Union include Benazir Bhutto, William Hague, and Boris Johnson!

It’s those little fun facts that imbue the Union with so much sense of history and makes its most mundane events so exciting! When I return for the Hilary term, I promise to upload a short video of its weekly debates.


No comments:

Post a Comment